Sunday, April 20, 2008

Conversation with KaiLi last night...

I was mopping the floor while Linnea and KaiLi were coloring and cutting at their table in the kitchen. Just for reference, both KaiLi and Linnea refer to the places they were born, and their orphanages, "my China."

KaiLi looked over and said, "Oh, we had that in my China!"
Me: You mean, this kind of mop?
KaiLi: Yes, we had that, but it smell bad!
Me: It smelled bad when they mopped?
KaiLi: Yes, smell really bad all the time.
Me: So you didn't like the way it smelled where you lived?
KaiLi: No, I not like it.

Then she paused for a moment while I continued mopping. Then she said, "I not happy in my China."
Me (still thinking of the smell): You weren't happy with the way it smelled?
KaiLi: No. I not happy cause I not have family.
Me: Oh, you were sad because you didn't have a family there.
KaiLi nods.
Me: But you have a family here, and we love you very much.
KaiLi: Yes, have family here. I happy now. (Thinking to herself for a moment) No, I not happy in my China.

She then turned back to color some more with Linnea.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love that she's thinking and comparing! That is good that she realizes what she has now!

Karen said...

What a great conversation! Elaine and I have had many similar conversations. She has asked me why I wasn't there to protect her from the bad children (that were mean to her)or that she wished I was there.